Please visit my design website for more up-to-date information.
Who is Dave Seah?
I’m an investigative designer based in the Southern New Hampshire / Metro Boston North area. I specialize in clarifying information and ideas. I’m also interested in networking with experienced, talented, and conscientious freelancers.
But enough about what I want…
What Kind of Work Have I Done?
- Lots of Writing — Here on the blog, I cover topics related to productivity, design, technology, and personal interest. I’m open to any new writing opportunities. And this is freaky: I like writing documentation and proposals.
- Information Graphic Design —The Printable CEO is a good example of my design philosophy and approach. You can also browse my Portfolio on Flickr.
- Interactive Design — Development of Kiosks, CD-ROMs, Web Interactives, Online Training, and so on. Examples: The programming, design, and interface for kiosks at The Boston Museum of Science, show-floor interactives for tradeshows, and online web seminars. Flash and Director.
- ActionScript 2.0 programming — I was the lead programmer and co-designer on Intel Education’s online thinking tool Showing Evidence.
User Interface Design. I favor designs that maximize context of information and continuity of workflow. The award-winning Sky & Telescope Sky Chart redefined online star gazing, and is my design. More recently I’ve done internal work for the United Nations Development Programme for the Office of Budgeting and Planning.
GUI Skin Graphics — Making something look interesting. Specializing in game-like metallic interfaces. Specialty: creating graphics elements for direct use by programmers.
Teaching and Training. I recently taught graphics for the web at the Center for Digital Imaging Arts in Waltham, MA. I like one-on-one training in particular, and developing curriculum materials.
I do a bit of motion graphics work, but find that I work best when teamed with another strong creative. I also like editing sound and video, but I don’t do this professionally.
Why Do People Like Working With Me?
p>Hm, that’s a good question. Here are some plausible answers:
- I am an innovative thinker who emphasizes building “real stuff”. The integration of theory, practice, communication, and storytelling are the four pillars supporting my work philosophy.
- I have both a tech and a visual design background, so I can talk shop with engineers and designers. And I speak enough “Manager” and “Executive” to translate between all four disciplines.
I know a lot about digital media technology, production, and development because of my
ARVE Error: Wrapper ID could not be build, please report this bug.vg1 [game]vg2 [development]vg3 [background]vg4.
- I’ll go through large quantities of data to extract the critical elements, so we can frame the challenge as clearly as possible. For example, absorbing the drug testing clinical trials process so we could animate the entire thing in Flash.
- I am very good at deconstructing things down to the component level, so I can reconstruct my understanding from the ground up.
- I know how to ask questions and get the answers I need. In the absense of answers, I can synthesize new guidelines and principles as needed. That’s the fun part.
- I possess the arcane knowledge to find what I want on the Internet.
- I love making diagrams and documenting processes. I type fast, too.
- I love theory and perfection, but I’ve learned to love implementation more.
- I’m a meticulous and conscientous project manager / client relationship contact / negotiator when I need be. I can self-manage, but prefer to maintain a close relationship with an working partner, manager, or other stakeholder directly involved with the project.
- I’m a good listener and an objective counselor. I’m also an excellent teacher with a flair for analogy and demonstration. So I’ve been told, by almost everyone I spend time with.
- I enjoy debugging, debugging tools, and the idiosyncracies of computer languages down to the machine language level.
- I like good food. I won’t stop us from having that delicious lunch, and if the gig is going well it’ll even be on me.
- I am generous with my knowledge and experience. I wouldn’t be here today if others had not been the same with me, so I pass it forward.
- I am a student of leadership.
- I am not afraid to say I don’t know.
Want to Know More?
…or Download My Resume (PDF, 80K)
…or [View my Portfolio Photoset][flickr] (on Flickr.com)