(last updated on February 26, 2016)
Over the past couple of days I’ve had report of problems with comment subscription:
Could not manage subscribed comments; the subscription management page displayed code instead of an actual user interface.
Garbled notification emails with lots of extra junk in them were being sent, which not only made them look terrible but did not provide clickable links for subscription management.
I think I have fixed these two problems, which were caused by the most versions of the Subscribe to Comments Reloaded (StCR) plugin. If you are still experiencing problems or want to be unsubscribed manually, please contact me privately and I’ll take care of it. Sorry for all the trouble!
For those looking for information about how I resolved the problem itself, continue reading
Source of Problems in Subscribe to Comments Reloaded
According to the Subscribe to Comments Reloaded changelog, January 2016 introduced improvements for better HTML email as well as updates to its core code. For my website, this has had several ramifications:
The new Rich Text Editor, which makes writing HTML-formatted notices possible, requires an update from your old messages if you included any HTML in it. You’ll have to make sure they’re not screwed up with “double http://” references and other malformed code. The update does not do this at all, or it screws up…I’m not sure which.
For blogs that use text filtering plugins like Markdown, the StCR management page bypasses the normal flow of text processing. In my case, I am using the no-longer-maintained PHP Markdown Extra plugin so I can write all most posts in Markdown and still have access to the Visual Editor when needed, and it is a conflict with this plugin that causes the “code appears on management page and I can’t click anything” problem. I wrote up the issue and my workaround on GitHub if anyone is interested in the technical details.
This is yet another sign that I have to update my creaking server architecture to something a little newer, but I have to first move a dozen sites belonging to friends of mine to another host so I can have one server dedicated to davidseah.com, and cheaper servers dedicated to other projects. I have done this migration four or five times now, and it takes days and days. Perhaps it’s something I will address in March.