I’ve been needing to get new business cards for a while, but haven’t been sure what they should say. This comes back to thorny issues about identity, business offerings, and making a good impressions. Since I’ve been blocked on this for weeks, I’m going to apply a jam-breaking 15-minute brain dump and see where that gets me.
What goes on a business card at minimum?
- Contact Information
What would give it some zazz?
- Some graphic element
- Novel presentation or typography
Why do I even need a business card?
- It’s usually so people can have my contact info, so they can look something up later
- It’s rarely to sell a service on its own
- It’s sometimes a keepsake for people that I meet, when we exchange cards
Do I need it for actual BUSINESS?
- The way I sell myself is usually by being knowledgeable and helpful. Sometimes by being interesting in some way.
- I don’t sell myself based on a particular service
What about memorability?
- The design and feel of the card should impart a sense of my values and aesthetics. So, it will be clean, largely typography, with some spot colors of the orange and blue persuasion.
- The title I give myself should be interesting, but somewhat professional.
- It certainly should impart a certain explorative, analytical, and openness to wonder and possibility
- It should also feel precise and confident
- It should make the reader work a little harder to understand it, but not too hard, because we want them to get it
(5 minutes elapsed)
So, how about some actual ideas?
– TITLE OR SOMETHING –
Ok, what about the title? That’s the big thing.
In the past, I’ve used Investigative Designer as a title, and that’s worked well conceptually with some people. However, it doesn’t seem to fit what I’m doing now. I’m not actually sure what I’m doing now, so let me list what projects are on my mind, and what projects I’d like to pursue:
- Realtime Interactive Development for Museums and Informal Science Education, that pay well
- Maintaining the Journal of Exploring, Learning, Building and Sharing
- Pursuing Excellence through Mastery of Skills
- Looking for Connections with other passionate, conscientious, explore-build-learn-share type people.
A more generic term might be “digital media designer”. I want to avoid any mention of websites. There is also an element of creative strategy in what I do.
How about using my diagram of explore-learn-build-share? How would I sum that up? Probably with a hyphenate tagline: interactive design – creative thinking – productivity tools
That sounds like something worth approaching!
(whew, 15 minutes expired just now!)
Two Hours Later
!@(images/12/0820-business-card-dr01.jpg:F popimg: “Business Card Draft”)