I’m actually getting to this really late…11PM! Here’s a writeup of this mornings reflection on marketing:
YESTERDAY, I got more specific about what people might want to see. In other words: what is their frame of mind? What do they desire? Do they want solutions? Patterns? To relate? Something to follow? Then, I started to get more specific about my values. To be clear, my “marketing month” IS NOT about changing my activities to meet other people’s desires, though this is a perfectly fine marketing approach. Instead, I want to create clear AREAS OF OVERLAPPING INTEREST between the audience that’s here and my values/activities. That is a meeting of interests.
So what are these “overlapping interests”? How do they relate to defining a viable market? Hm. Maybe the following:
- The OI can be succinctly labeled, and recognized as desirable by people who desire such things
- The OI, labeled, is a clear, tangible or visceral benefit that is desirable.
- The OI benefit can be quantified or qualified as being better or part of the road to being better.
- The OI benefit is transactionable, acquirable, or actionable.
- The transaction strengthens the bond between buyer and seller.
I had a list of personal values. Reversing them gives me some characteristics of the people who would also be attracted to my values, which forms the foundation of overlapping interest:
- People who want to succeed through excellence, originality, and putting things in the world.
- People who wish their work to reflect themselves.
- People who like optimism, enthusiasm, and desire to connect with like-minded people.
- People who practice “explore, learn, build, share” and the related “seek inspiration, develop mastery, create opportunity” activity structure.
- People who appreciate good knowledge and want to share it
- People who seek creative independence like myself
Converting the above into a set of benefits/artifacts/desires (sort of a jumble)
- The highest quality
- Impact the world by putting things into it…a “maker” or “creative”
- Work reflects values: optimism, active personal growth and development, community of like-minded people
- A well-defined creative process
- High quality supporting knowledge and tools
- Creative Independence
Let me reprocess that into something more compact:
- Creative Process
- Creative Independence
- The Tools
- Technique and Know-How
- Happiness through Making: Exploring, learning, building sharing
- Happiness through Impact: Seeking Inspiration, Developing Mastery, Creating Opportunity
And let me try to distill that one more time:
- Happiness through Creative Process: Explore, Learn, Build, Share … it’s the stages of creativity
- Happiness through Connection: Sharing, Creating Opportunity
- Happiness through Shared Values: optimism, personal growth, connecting with like-minded individuals
Being a Maker, a Creative
- Happiness through Directed Action: Seeking Inspiration, Developing Mastery, Creating Opportunity … creativity
- Cultivating a set of purpose
- Putting things into the world
Tools & Techniques
Imbuing the pursuit for Creative Independence with
And that’s as far as I got before the timer went off. Still not at the point where this is feeling like a distinct statement or focusing point. Tomorrow I’ll try to achieve that.