One of my current projects is learning how to write a good web application. For the past week or so, I’ve been focused on the back-end (i.e. the server and database programming), but now I’m at the point where it’s time to think of the front end.
Although I make fun of apps that use designs driven by their database schema, it’s not a bad place to start. Here’s a simplified dump of the TASK table:
Table wp_second_tasks ===================== id mediumint(8) unsigned PK user_id mediumint(8) unsigned task_desc_id mediumint(8) unsigned task_name char(255) task_detail_id mediumint(8) unsigned task_progress enum('idea','spec','plan',...) task_priority enum('immediate','shortwindow',...) task_status enum('queued','active','bumped',...) task_terminus enum('cancelled','nomoreneed',...) task_followup enum('rjnonfunction','rjnotspec',...) Table wp_second_task_details ============================ id mediumint(8) unsigned PK deliverable char(255) description char(255) action char(255)
The goal is to get this information into a simple layout that will function well interactively. The first and most tedious step is just getting the information all into a form where you can play around with it. I pulled up Illustrator and just laid stuff out, imagining the kind of interaction I needed as I went.
This should be enough for me to just cobble together a fragment of HTML+CSS to start using in my code. I have a lot to learn about jQuery and jQueryUI to make this do what I want, so keeping simple for now will be helpful.