2012 Business Cards, Round 3
After taking a weekend break from the last round of personal business card design, I headed to Starbucks to see if I could finally get the design resolved.
And here’s round 3:
H: This is the combination of the round 2 feedback, fixing the bottom text address and trying a different slogan, which I ended up not liking because it seemed to try too hard to wedge everything in.
I: Having all the elements decided upon, it was time to come up with a final set of proportions and spaces. I noodled around for about 90 minutes at Starbucks, resolving balance and fixing weights. One problem that kept coming up was the balance of space between the top half and bottom half of the card (you can see how unresolved it is in H). So I tried splitting it, increasing the weight of my name from bold to semi-bold, and then tried crossing that void from the diagram to my name with a dotted line to draw a more immediate connection, centering the name to create a strong focal point with more whitespace around it. It battles the diagram in terms of visual weigh, but with the dotted line and separation I think it actually works pretty well. I also increased the weight of the contact information lead-in, so they would more actively draw attention from the bold name. I eyeballed a lot of the spaces to get a kind of consistent unit spacing with horizontal and vertical gaps by squinting at it…I think I have a pretty good balance (the name might still be a tad low, but it’s hard to judge with the dotted line).
Revision I is the release candidate, barring any horrors that come to light.
There are a few things I need to check, like whether the process colors I’m using will actually print anything like I hope they will, and making sure that I’m within the safe frame of the card edge (I think it’s 1/8th or 1/16th of an inch; it depends on the printer).