I forget who asked for this, but it’s something I’ve been wanting to make for a while: a hard bound full-size journal. After over a year of searching for a supplier for the covers, my print guy got some samples in and I believe we can finally move forward into production!
I jumped into Illustrator to make a mockup layout for notebook prototyping, and that’s today’s “thing of the day”. Details follow.
Basically, the notebook will be using a covered cardboard core, like a high-quality sketch notebook. I showed the printer the kind of notebook I wanted (the Cachet Classic Graph quadrille notebook), and so we’ll be producing something very similar.
- 92 pages (3 months of planning)
- Paper pages are 8.8×11 inches. The extra 0.3 inch is to account for the wire binding, which will allow one to slide 8.5×11 pages in between the pages of the notebook without sticking out.
- Front is ETP, back is a graph paper / day grid extention
- Double-wire bound, pebbled coat, glued inside cover
- Same paper stock, ink, look as the regular full-size ETP. It’s been adjusted slightly.
- Projected cost: Trying to keep retail to around US$18-$25. This is comparable to my Cachet Classic Graph 9×12, which costs around $25 a whack when I buy one in Boston. These things are EXPENSIVE to produce in small quantities.
- Limited run of 500.
If anyone is interested in this, let me know in the comments. I could use some feedback.
I’ll probably release the graph paper back for it tomorrow as an easy thing to do; these daily project things are becoming very time consuming. I think I’ll use the weekends for light blog entries to give myself some time to get ahead on this production schedule.
About this Article Series
I'm challenging myself to create something new every day for the month of November 2014! The November Challenge Page lists everything in one place...check it out!